On Apr 11, 2005 12:56 AM, Peter J. Holzer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 2005-04-10 10:23:38 +1000, Ron Savage wrote:
> > IMHO data goes in databases and files go in directories.

[--- good stuff snipped ---]

> RDBMs are generally optimized for lots of small data items which are
> organized into tables. Filesystems are generally optimized for larger
> data items organized into trees. There is considerable overlap where
> neither has a clear advantage, and of course it varies depending on what
> RDBMS and filesystem you use.

It's basically what's being said in this post, but I personally would
opt for storing the files outside of the DB, because my experience
saya that BLOB and CLOB datatypes severely mess up database  IO
performance.   But if you DO follow this suggestion, be sure your
application is written robustly enough to easily change the image root
directory because the pix WILL get moved around over the lifespan of
your app.

HTH,
kdot