Hmmm, re-reading some of the SKOS docs I get the feeling that
skos:subject is indeed appropriate only for documents:

http://www.w3.org/TR/swbp-skos-core-guide/#secindexing
| These properties [including skos:subject] can be used for subject
| indexing of information resources on the web. Here 'subject indexing'
| means the same as 'indexing' as defined by Willpower Glossary.

The Willpower Glossary says:
| indexing: intellectual analysis of the subject matter of a document
| to identify the concepts represented in it, and allocation of the
| corresponding preferred terms to allow the information to be retrieved

So, skos:subject is intended for use on information resources, that is,
documents. DBpedia resources in general are not documents.

I'm logging this as a bug in the tracker. I think that a new property
in the DBpedia namespace is perhaps the simplest solution, e.g.
dbpedia:category.

Thoughts anyone?

Richard