Hi Aldo,

thanks for the references - I will definitely look into them. I know about the
systematic polysemy phenomenon - e.g. sentences where you use two meanings of
one polysemous word are semantically valid. But I am not saying that you have
to make a commitment to one classification of a certain "object" that is
described in Wikipedia, e.g. church as a building vs church as a community.
What I am saying is that when you use DBpedia ontology, where the classes are
vaguely defined you are indeed making some commitments (as Peter pointed out)
by interpreting churches as a buildings, while in Cyc there are such
distinctions, but there are also relations that keep these interpretations
together.

What I am mostly concerned with is the process of developing DBpedia ontology.
I have pointed out inconsistencies in Wikipedia which are a by-product of its
community based development. Having 5 or 6 means of expressing one information
(e.g. administrative categories) is not a problem of polysemy, but is a problem
of a community driven process. Assuming DBpedia ontology creators will agree
that a church is a systematically polysemous concept I don't expect that all
systematically polysemous concepts will be treated as such. My belief is based
on my careful examination of Wikipedia (incoherent) structure and the problems
discovered in the DBpedia ontology that were discussed so far.

But you may be right in yet another sense - there is no much semantics in
SemanticWeb. At least - if you look at DBpedia from God's perspective you are
making a mistake. There are only portions of the data that are useful in
certain applications and you have to adjust them to your "ontology" before you
start using it.

Kind regards,
Aleksander

---- Wł. Śr, 16 kwi 2014 15:44:08 +0200 Aldo
Gangemi<aldo.gang...@gmail.com> napisał(a) ----

Hi, the kind of ambiguity we are discussing is well known in lexical semantics:
it is called “systematic polysemy”. In practice, certain terms are used to
express several related meanings. Patterns emerge out of these phenomena, e.g.
Place/Building/Community, which the Cyc concepts noticed by Aleksander are an
occurrence of. Systematic polysemy was originally described by James
Pustejovsky, and studied in detail within WordNet by Paul Buitelaar.

Trying to resolve that ambiguity is a typical formal ontology task, but this
task is sometimes in conflict with common sense, and especially with linguistic
and informal data. Pat Hayes (as far as I remember) used to call the excess of
distinction “ontological overcommitment”. In fact there are even cognitive
experiments that prove the importance of “controlled” ambiguity for fast and
efficient thinking [6].

As an ontology designer that spent quite a time trying to understand how and
when it is useful to make distinctions, I would recommend to follow the
crowdsourced value of Wikipedia: there is structure there, but often it is not
what we would like to find as formal ontologists or logicians. And this is not
a “problem" in my view: we need to understand what is relevant, and to derive
requirements from it. If there are structures in Wikipedia that produce
exceptions in DBpedia, and derivatively in potential formal orderings of
classes and properties, such exceptions should be studied as empirical
phenomena, not as “dirtiness” to be corrected.

>From this perspective, the DBpedia ontology is simply not informed by either
>criteria: it does not try to be formally correct, but it does not try to
>follow empirical science rules either. That’s why I was recommending to look
>at properties and mappings first.

As far as Kingsley’s recommendation to “triangulate” with other ontologies,
that’s a good one, but it should be accompanied by understanding what is the
actual data-oriented ontology of DBpedia-Wikipedia. Let me reference some
examples of this empirical research conducted by my lab: [1][2][3], and there
is more of course in the literature, e.g. [4][5].

Best
Aldo

[1] Nuzzolese A.G., Gangemi A., Presutti V. Encyclopedic Knowledge Patterns
from Wikipedia Page Links. Proceedings of ISWC2011, the Ninth International
Semantic Web Conference, Springer, 2011.

[2] Aldo Gangemi, Andrea Giovanni Nuzzolese, Valentina Presutti, Francesco
Draicchio, Alberto Musetti and Paolo Ciancarini. Automatic Typing of DBpedia
entities. Proceedings of ISWC2012, the Tenth International Semantic Web
Conference, LNCS, Springer, 2012.

[3] Presutti V., Aroyo L., Adamou A., Schopman B., Gangemi A., Schreiber G.
Extracting Core Knowledge from Linked Data. Proceedings of the Second Workshop
on Consuming Linked Data, COLD2011, Workshop in conjunction with the 10th
International Semantic Web Conference 2011 (ISWC 2011),
http://ceur-ws.org/Vol-781/, 2011.

[4] http://www.heikopaulheim.com/docs/iswc2013.pdf

[5] Johanna Völker, Mathias Niepert. Statistical Schema Induction. In
proceeding of: The Semantic Web: Research and Applications - 8th Extended
Semantic Web Conference, ESWC 2011

[6] Steven T. Piantadosi, Harry Tily, Edward Gibson. The communicative function
of ambiguity in language. Cognition, 2012; 122 (3): 280