Feb. 25

QATAR:

Iran Confirms Repatriation of 6 Citizens Sentenced in Qatar

Iran today confirmed the repatriation of 6 of its citizens sentenced to death penalties or long imprisonment in Qatar, a decision obtained thanks to the work of the Iranian Foreign Ministry, said its spokesman, Marzieh Afkham.

Akfham said that the prisoners are already in Iran in virtue of the efforts of Tehran's Foreign Ministry, the Iranian embassy in Doha, and the result of the recent visit of Qatar's Minister of Justice, Masood Bin Muhammad Al-Ameri, and the interaction with Iranian judicial authorities.

The repatriated had been sentenced to life imprisonment, long sentences or death penalty for crimes related to possession of drugs.

(source: Prensa Latina)

AUSTRALIA:

We stand for mercy: Australia's top legal minds sign petition calling for clemency for Chan and Sukumaran

More than 140 of Australia's leading law professors, deans and academics have signed a petition pleading with Indonesian President Joko Widodo to use his constitutional powers to spare the lives of the Bali 9 pair, Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran.

In ultimately deciding on clemency we believe the Indonesian Government should give the strongest consideration to the remarkable rehabilitation history of the 2 condemned.

Professor of Criminal Justice at the University of Sydney, Mark Findlay, said the response from the legal fraternity over the past 24 hours has been "astonishing in its commitment and its concern".

"We are not lecturing the Indonesians, but rather we want to commend their prison system which seems to have assisted in the remarkable rehabilitation of our 2 fellow citizens," he said.

The petition says the academics seek the Indonesian president's mercy, "not as critics of Indonesia, or its legal system, nor of Indonesia's right to take the strong but ultimately humane action against drug traffickers who bring misery and addiction to many".

"While opposing capital punishment as cruel and inhuman we also condemn the exploitation which the drug trade represents," the petition says.

The academics say the Republic of Indonesia has earned growing respect and approval among the international community for its demonstrated commitment to protecting human rights, and has made an important contribution to human rights protection globally as a member of the United Nations Human Rights Council.

"President Widodo himself has been a strong advocate for human rights, with the advancement of human rights a central plank in his 2014 presidential election campaign," the academics say.

"The deaths of Chan and Sukumaran would be a tragedy for them, and their families, while not addressing the underlying causes of the drug trade in Indonesia.

"In contrast, sparing the lives of these 2 young men, who have demonstrated remorse for their crimes and have been rehabilitated during their lengthy imprisonment, would be a signal of strength and mercy, an affirmation of President Widodo's deep commitment to human rights.

"Presidential clemency would serve as a turning point and opportunity for Indonesia to achieve its overriding national interest - combating the drug trade. It would do so by being a rallying call for Australia and other countries in the region to develop and implement an effective regime to stamp out the damaging drug trafficking trade once for all."

The petition includes the following statement signed by more than 140 academics:

"As lawyers, concerned academics and professionals, we join to speak out against the impending and tragic execution of our fellow citizens in Indonesia. We do not see this punishment as either an issue of national sovereignty or of just desserts.

"The Australian police gave up these 2 men to a capital punishment jurisdiction as part of an operation which could have led to prosecutions and trials in Australia where the death penalty is not an option.

"Capital punishment is said to be qualified by mercy. In ultimately deciding on clemency we believe the Indonesian Government should give the strongest consideration to the remarkable rehabilitation history of the 2 condemned. In opposing these executions we are not seeking to criticise the judicial process of another country.

"However, we want to see justice tempered with humanity. Right-minded Australians share the abhorrence of misery and addiction associated with drug abuse and the shameful trafficking trade. That said, nothing in our view can justify the killing of 2 men in circumstances such as these. At this final hour we add our voices to the calls for the death sentences to be commuted and for Australia and Indonesia to join in other ways to fight the harmful health consequences of drug abuse in all its forms."

(source: Sydney Morning Herald)

NIGERIA:

Lawyers Fault Lagos Decision To Retain Death Penalty

Lawyers under the aegis of Avocats Sans Frontieres France (Lawyers Without Borders) has condemned the decision of the Lagos State government to retain the death penalty in its laws, describing it as a most unwelcome development.

In a statement signed by Akpa Esther, communication officer for Avocats Sans Frontieres France, also known as Lawyers Without Borders France, the state government has determined that the death penalty is a suitable deterrent for crimes such as murder and armed robbery, based on empirical research and randomly conducted opinion polls.

According to the statement, ASF France Head of Office in Abuja, Miss Angela Uwandu, expressed disappointment that the decision is in spite of the various aggressive death penalty abolition campaigns that have been launched in the state in the past decade, saying the decision casts a shadow on the status of the Lagos State government as a progressive pace setter in legal policies.

(source: Leadershipng.ng)

SAUDI ARABIA----execution

Saudi Arabia beheads Jordanian national for drug trafficking

Saudi Arabia has beheaded a Jordanian on charges of drug trafficking, bringing to 32 the number of executions carried out in the kingdom in the first 2 months of 2015.

The convicted Jordanian drug smuggler, identified as Omar Mohammed Abdul Muti al-Rubai, was beheaded in the northwestern al-Jawf region, on Wednesday, the Saudi Interior Ministry said.

The execution was carried out after the convict allegedly confessed to trying to smuggle a large amount of amphetamines across the northern Jordan-Saudi border.

This is while the increasing number of executions in Saudi Arabia has drawn growing concern on the international stage. Riyadh carried out the death penalty against 87 people last year, up from 78 in 2013.

The country has come under particular criticism from rights groups for the executions carried out for non-fatal crimes.

According to the London-based rights group Amnesty International's annual report on Wednesday, Saudi Arabia imposes death sentences "after unfair trials."

Amnesty International said Saudi Arabia, which has one of the highest execution rates in the world, has tortured or "otherwise coerced or misled [defendants] into making false confessions" before trial.

Muslim clerics have also slammed Riyadh for indicting and then executing suspects without giving them a chance to defend themselves.

Saudi authorities say the beheadings reveal the Saudi government's commitment to "maintaining security and realizing justice."

The execution "is committed to fighting drugs of all kinds due to the physical and social harm they cause," the Saudi government added.

Rape, murder, apostasy, armed robbery and drug trafficking are all punishable by death under Saudi rule.

Saudi officials execute convicts by sword and then hang their corpses from a helicopter for the public to see.

(source: Presstv)

IRAN----executions

2 prisoners hanged in public in Kermanshah

As the executions of prisoners continue unabated in Iran, the celrical regime's henchmen hang 2 other prisoners in public in the western city of Kermanshah.

The 2 men were hanged in 2 locations in the city 10 in the morning local time on Wednesday.

The public hanging follows executions in several prisons in cities across Iran of which very limited have been officially announced.

According to the reports received from various sources dozens of prisoners have been hanged during the past weekend alone in prisons across Iran.

Official news websites reported that 4 prisoners have been hanged on Sunday in city of Arak and another prisoner has been hanged on Tuesday morning in the main prison in the city of Rasht.

4 men hanged in Arak

4 prisoners hanged in the main prison in the city of Arak on Tuesday, the judiciary's website in the Central Province has announced.

The prisoners were only identified by their 1st name and last name initials as Mohammad M., Ehsan J., Amirhossien Gh, and Reza Z.

The 4 men all had been charged with drug related offences.

According to the information received from various sources in Iran on over 2 dozen prisoners being executed in a number of prisons across Iran in past few days.

Last week, the Iranian regime's henchmen in the central prison in the city of Orumiyeh hanged at least 2 political prisoners.

Habibullah Afshari, 26 and his brother Ali Afshari, 34, hanged on Thursday, had been sentenced to death for supporting Komala, an Iranian Kurdish opposition group.

They were among the group of 6 political prisoners including Saman Naseem who were transferred to isolation on Wednesday. There is no information on the fate of the other prisoners.

(source for both: NCR-Iran)