On 5/2/23 11:59, Pascal Hambourg wrote:
On 02/05/2023 at 15:21, Peter Ehlert wrote:

DI asks on which drive to install GRUB
User says disk X
DI attempts to install on Drive Y
result ... GRUB does not get installed at all

This is completely different from what I understood.

The statement "GRUB does not get installed at all" is refuted by /var/log/syslog which indicates clearly that GRUB was successfully installed on /dev/sdb:

Apr 28 23:55:51 grub-installer: info: Running chroot /target grub-installĀ  --force "/dev/sdb"
(...)
Apr 28 23:56:01 grub-installer: Installation finished. No error reported.

Can you described what happened exactly ?
Were you prompted to "Install the GRUB boot loader to your primary drive?" ? If yes, did you answer "yes" or "no" ? Where you then prompted to select the "Device for boot loader installation" ? If yes, what option did you select exactly ?
from my initial installation-report:
"when install was finished, a list of drives was displayed, asking where to install GRUB.
the install drive was highlighted
I selected the drive with bios_grub
the display showed "installing GRUB on (...drive it was installed on...)"

Pardon me for not being more clear. I will elaborate from the photos I took

"Install the GRUB boot loader" menu ... 6 items
Enter device manually
/dev/sda (usb-SanDisk ...
/dev/sdb (ata-WL4000G ...
/dev/sdc (ata-WDC_WD300...
/dev/sdd (ata-WDC_WD300...
/dev/sde (ata-SanDisk_SDSSDA240G_162248447811)

I selected /dev/sde and pressed the Continue button

then the GUI progress bar Installing GRUB and I see Running "grub-install /dev/sdd" ...

in this case sdd was the install location, sde is the drive that has a bios_grub flagged partition

setting up BIOS to boot from a drive that does not have a bios_grub flagged partition results in:

"GPT-formatted disk.

Legacy boot not supported. Press any key to reboot."

If this is a message from the BIOS, then it is flawed. A compliant BIOS should not care about the partition table, even less the presence of any kind of partition. All a BIOS should care about is the presence of the "boot signature" 0x55, 0xAA at the end of the boot sector.

Yes, that is from the BIOS

running Debian, from the terminal:

peter@z820-3:~$ su -
Password:
root@z820-3:~# grub-install /dev/sda && update-grub
Installing for i386-pc platform.
grub-install: warning: this GPT partition label contains no BIOS Boot Partition; embedding won't be possible. grub-install: error: embedding is not possible, but this is required for cross-disk install.
root@z820-3:~#