On 04/05/2023 at 16:21, Peter Ehlert wrote:

"Install the GRUB boot loader" menu ... 6 items
Enter device manually
/dev/sda (usb-SanDisk ...
/dev/sdb (ata-WL4000G ...
/dev/sdc (ata-WDC_WD300...
/dev/sdd (ata-WDC_WD300...
/dev/sde (ata-SanDisk_SDSSDA240G_162248447811)

I selected /dev/sde and pressed the Continue button

then the GUI progress bar Installing GRUB and I see Running "grub-install /dev/sdd" ...

in this case sdd was the install location, sde is the drive that has a bios_grub flagged partition

OK, I think I managed to reproduce the issue and it shares the root cause with another bug I am currently chasing (GRUB is not installed at all). Some logic in grub-installer seems to be flawed but I still need to understand the original intent before I can submit a patch for both bugs.

Meanwhile, a workaround is to enter the boot device manually.

setting up BIOS to boot from a drive that does not have a bios_grub flagged partition results in:

"GPT-formatted disk.

Legacy boot not supported. Press any key to reboot."

If this is a message from the BIOS, then it is flawed. A compliant BIOS should not care about the partition table, even less the presence of any kind of partition. All a BIOS should care about is the presence of the "boot signature" 0x55, 0xAA at the end of the boot sector.

Yes, that is from the BIOS
(...)
root@z820-3:~# grub-install /dev/sda && update-grub
Installing for i386-pc platform.
grub-install: warning: this GPT partition label contains no BIOS Boot Partition; embedding won't be possible. grub-install: error: embedding is not possible, but this is required for cross-disk install.

This failure has nothing to do with the above. You are trying to install GRUB on a GPT disk which is not the one containing /boot ("cross-disk"), and this requires a BIOS boot partition.