Ondřej Surý <ond...@sury.org> writes:

> I would be quite happy to write service files for two (systemd, upstart)
> or three (systemd, upstart, openrc) of those in all my packages[*], if
> it stops the endless flamewar here. I would also be happy to have the
> requirement to support two (or three) of them in the Debian policy.

+1

However, there is a legitimate concern that I'm not likely to personally
test more than one, maybe two, of the service files, since I'm probably
going to find that I have a personal favorite and end up using that on
most or all of my systems.

In general, whichever one we pick as the installation default is probably
going to get the most testing.  This isn't a problem for things like MTAs,
which are fairly self-contained; Postfix is quite well-supported in Debian
despite having Exim as the default.  But for init systems, where the
support is spread over a large number of packages, the situation is
trickier.

--
Russ Allbery (r...@debian.org)               <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>