Hi Holger,

On 23/04/18 03:11, Holger Levsen wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 23, 2018 at 01:52:19AM +0000, Scott Kitterman wrote:
>> Fundamentally not a lintian warnings are created  equal.  Some have solid
>> foundation in Debian project consensus and policy.  Others are nothing
>> more than the opinions of the lintian maintainers.  This is one of the
>> latter.
>
> you make it sound like the lintian maintainers are a bunch of lunatics,
> but according to src:piuparts/debian/copyright, that's us, the piuparts
> maintainers. the lintian maintainers (and uploaders) are a bunch of
> (ex- and current) people from the release team, ftp team, policy editors
> and others.

I can understand that the above is one reading of Scott's mail, but I
personally didn't take anything super negatively w.r.t. "nothing more
than the opinions of the lintian maintainers".

But again, in the context of my mail, I was (quite verbosely) outlining
that Lintian's findings may sometimes be, on their own, sufficient
justifications for a REJECT, and sometimes not.

Even a Lintian warning may still result in a REJECT if it was clear it
was 100% apt, and represents something we don't want in the archive.

> and, afaik, they react to bug reports. maybe for now this python2 warning
> should be downgraded to 'info'? what would be the best way to tell them
I agree, people who feel strongly this issue is misclassified could best
instigate action by taking this discussion to a bug (perhaps spilling
over to debian-devel if it is in fact of interest to the wider project
for discussion).

Cheers,
Luke W Faraone