Nathanael Nerode <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Either the choice of venue clause is invalid and ignored, or it's an
> imposition on whoever has the most trouble travelling!

I think there are many more possible cases than that. For example,
since there is no signed and witnessed document, the relevance of the
choice of venue clause is likely to depend on disputed facts (such as,
did the person agree to the licence?) so you need a court to decide on
its validity, and maybe even a whole trial with witnesses and even a
jury, if you're in a jurisdiction where they use juries for civil
cases. That court, having already investigated the case, might decide
to finish the job rather than send the case to another country, and it
might then treat the choice of venue as a choice of law. Who knows? I
certainly don't, but I would guess it's a lot more complicated than
the clause being just "valid" or "invalid".