Felyza Wishbringer <fel...@gmail.com> writes:

> On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 10:01 PM, Ben Finney <ben+deb...@benfinney.id.au>
> wrote:
> [Ben Finney]
> > Felyza Wishbringer wrote:
> > > I am fairly certain that most Fair Use laws in sane localities
> > > would take into account the sum of work, rather than chunk size.
> >
> > Is that by definition – i.e. that, if a jurisdiction does not behave
> > that way, you disqualify them from being a “sane jurisdiction”?
> >
> > Or do you have a set of sane jurisdictions that isn't dependent on that
> > behaviour, and have evidentiary support for your being fairly certain
> > they behave in the manner you describe?
>
> I appreciate your giving me an opportunity to learn something new, and
> here is what I learned, and how it affects the topic.
>
> I see you have an Australian (.au) address. I assume you became
> defensive since there is no 'fair use' in the AU fair dealing law.

You assume incorrectly, on two points: I didn't become defensive, and my
questions weren't related to AU law.

> As you asked a fairly personal question (my usage of 'sane')

That's not a personal question (and your assumption that it is personal
is rather defensive).

You used a term (“Fair Use laws in sane localities”) that is wide open
to subjective interpretation, and I wanted you to state what you meant
in a more independently-verifiable manner.

That's pretty much the opposite of a personal question.

> to answer it directly.. what I, myself, considers sane is 'you can't
> copy and distribute copyrighted works, without regard for copyright,
> if what is copied is a substantial portion of the original work'.

I see. Your usage of “Fair Use laws in sane localities” is crafted to
exclude any localities which don't already behave the way you assume
they will.

So your statement above reduces to a tautology: most jurisdictions that
have that behaviour are jurisdictions that have that behavior.

Thanks for confirming.

--
 \           “If [a technology company] has confidence in their future |
  `\      ability to innovate, the importance they place on protecting |