Hello.

Debian Bug #1024501 [1]indicates that data files are present in the fortune-mod package which are against Debian policy:

Dear Maintainer,

*** Reporter, please consider answering these questions, where appropriate ***

   * What led up to the situation?

As mentioned on Debian-project mailing list:
This is no longer appropriate for Debian. Fortunes-off binary package has
been removed: can we remove the data files, please.

These were questioned by upstream as early as 1997. They contain ethnic and
homophobic content and also Nazism quotes from Mein Kampf - none of these
would fit Debian Codes of Conduct today. A complaint has been raised.

It would seem sensible to remove these quotes and content immediately prior
to the release of Debian Bookworm

This is not yet removed if I read the changelog from Debian.There are additional components in the source code which quote these that suggest it may be prudent for a complete deletion. Downstream in Ubuntu, this package was removed due to violation of the Ubuntu Code of Conduct [2], and as the package in Ubuntu and the package in Debian are identical to each other, it may be prudent for the Debian community to remove the package in Unstable and Testing for similar reasons.  However, this was extended to the source package as the *source contents* contain the offensive wording, etc.

Can we put this package into the 'considered for removal' list or simply remove the package as violation of the Debian Code of Conduct from all releases?

Thomas

[1]: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=1024501

[2]: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fortune-mod/+bug/1996682