Hi Andreas!

On Thu, Feb 15, 2024 at 08:37:38AM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> Control: tags -1 pending
>
> Hi,
>
> I pushed fixes for #1056419 and #1058311 to Git and I think should be
> fixed as well.  The only remaining build problem is new and caused by
> sphinx[1]:
>
>   dh_sphinxdoc -i -O--buildsystem=pybuild
> dh_sphinxdoc: error:
> debian/python-lmfit-doc/usr/share/doc/python3-lmfit/html/search.html
> top-level node does not have data-content_root attribute
>
> Unfortunately I have no idea how to fix this.  Any ideas?

lmfit-py ships a vendored copy of sphinx13 theme [1], which was copied from
Sphinx source code with a minor modification in 2020 [2] and rebased in
January 2022 [3]. However, there were more Sphinx releases since that month,
and the theme needs to be updated for compatibility with them.

In particular, the basic_layout.html file misses the change which was made
in Sphinx commit [4], without which the search will not work. There is a
comment under that commit which illustrates how exactly it will not work:
contentRoot will be undefined, and the browser will attempt to make requests
to a URL that has "undefined" in it. dh_sphinxdoc catches such issues and
produces an error about them.

So, to fix this issue, you should copy sphinx/themes/basic/layout.html from
the latest stable version of Sphinx to lmfit-py's basic_layout.html, applying
the one-line change which is described in [2] and [3].

[1]: doc/sphinx/theme/sphinx13/*
[2]:
https://github.com/lmfit/lmfit-py/commit/29e4712036606913149e16b246340a7fbedd8829
[3]: