Carsten Schoenert <c.schoen...@t-online.de> writes:

> Am 15.03.24 um 08:31 schrieb c.bu...@posteo.jp:
>
>> On the long run it is my goal to make the package [1] ready for official
>> upload. But I suspect this is a long way. So on short view that repo
>> will be for practicing only. Am I allowed to create such a repo in my
>> position?

Christian, have you filed an ITP (intent to package) yet?  If not,
please do so as soon as you can.

  https://wiki.debian.org/ITP

> There is no need to start any packaging work within the Salsa group of
> the DPT. You can start any work within your namespace and move the
> package to any other group later if needed and appropriate.
>
> And within your namespace you can e.g. do force pushing if you feel you
> need to, within team space that's a no go.

+1 Carsten, that's my recommendation too, same rationale, and I'd add
that starting a project in personal namespace is zero risk.

  1. You have a remote backup of your work.
  2. You can do whatever you want with it (ie make branches and/or tags
  of experiments that may or may not work out, squash, rebase, force
  push--as noted--etc.)
  3. So it's lower stress and builds confidence faster than working
  directly in a team-managed namespace imho.
  4. Moving the repo during the sponsorship procedure can be a
  reassuring milestone.
  5. Doing Debian development "in the open" is sometimes an
  uncomfortable adjustment, and staging work in personal namespace is a
  more gentle path.

Regards,
Nicholas