Hi,

(I am off debian-python mailing list -- please CC me.
Also, I cannot include previous text in the threads because
I don't have them in my mailbox. Sorry!)

Reading https://lists.debian.org/debian-python/2024/03/msg00152.html
and https://lists.debian.org/debian-python/2024/03/msg00151.html ,
I can see that
https://wiki.debian.org/Python/GitPackaging#Creating_a_new_package is
indeed poorly written:

*) It still points to pages of GitDpm, which the Python team is not
using anymore.

*) It does not describe the procedure of packaging from scratch very
well. To be precise, it lacks info about packaging from a status where
both git repo and the .dsc source package are nonexistant. It doesn't
describe the "gbp import-orig" subcommand for packaging initialization,
which is suprising. The same issue applies to
https://wiki.debian.org/PackagingWithGit .

For newcomers, I believe they will get lost at the very first line on
https://wiki.debian.org/Python/GitPackaging#Creating_a_new_package ,
which is "uscan". No one knows why uscan can work with an empty
directory. The newcomer may not even know what uscan is (actually they
are supposed to know what uscan is in advance -- but explanation should
be added here anyway).

If you really want a readily-available better documentation, consider
reading the official documentation of git-buildpackage at
https://honk.sigxcpu.org/projects/git-buildpackage/manual-html/ .
After you understand that, merge the remaining useful information from
https://wiki.debian.org/Python/GitPackaging to get a thorough
understanding.

I don't have a good solution to Wiki pages yet since the article logic
needs some major editing.

Thanks,
Boyuan Yang