Hi!

On the system of a friend of me, apt-get is unable to 'upgrade'. It
recommends the use of 'apt-get -f install'. Here's the output:

----snip----
# apt-get -f install
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Correcting dependencies... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  apache console-tools dpkg ed2k-gtk-gui emacs20 gaim gaim-common
  kernel-package libgdk-pixbuf2 libglade0 libgtk1.2 man-db modconf modutils
  mozilla-browser mozilla-psm mtr ogle-gui phpmyadmin ppp pppconfig pppoe
  pppoeconf sysvinit xmms
WARNING: The following essential packages will be removed
This should NOT be done unless you know exactly what you are doing!
  dpkg sysvinit
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 25 to remove and 15  not upgraded.
3 packages not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 83.0MB will be freed.
You are about to do something potentially harmful
To continue type in the phrase 'Yes, do as I say!'
 ?]

My friend tried to use unstable packages on his woody system. As you see: It
failed and lead to this situation. Now i have some questions:

How to track down to the source of this problem (which packages?)
It says '3 packages not fully installed or removed.' How to identify these
packages?

Any further suggestions on how to fix this problems are pretty welcome! ;-)

Thank you!
Henning