on Wed, Sep 03, 2003 at 10:39:57PM +0100, Mark Ayliffe ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> I had a problem updating my two unstable machines this morning. I got the
> message "Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11 Resource
> temporarily unavailable)". Looking through the archive of this illustrious
> list I found several suggestions that another copy of dselect (or presumably
> apt-get) must be running. This was not so, the first instance happened part
> way through the installation phase, after the download was complete. It also
> recurred after an init 1.

Are you running as root?

If not, do.

> I found that deleting /var/lib/dpkg/lock did not solve the problem and a new
> instance was created on each attempt. However deleting that file and
> /var/lib/dpkg/methlock allowed the installtion to complete successfully.

Hrm.  So your problem's solved?

Try also:  strace <foo>

...where <foo> is some command and arguments.  Usually the error will be
evident in output (note ther emay be lots of it).

Peace.

--
Karsten M. Self <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>        http://kmself.home.netcom.com/
    By failing to protect the public interest in free access to the