On Wed, 8 Oct 2003 12:08:12 -0700 (PDT), Stephen A. Witt
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> penned:

> I don't have any experience with DocBook or XSLT, but I do nearly
> everything in LaTeX and I love it. From LaTex source you can pretty
> much automatically generate html and pdf as well as postscript. I do
> think the learning curve is a little steep though.  The way I do it is
> a lot like developing software, I have a directory that I put the
> "source" .tex files and have written a Makefile to "compile" it. I
> edit the source files with an editor and then run make and out come my
> docs. Many, many people here really like how my docs look, but are
> astounded that I can't give them a Word file and positively cringe
> when I break out emacs to do the edits.
>
> With LaTeX I find that I worry a lot more about the content of the
> document than the format of it. If you need some pretty fancy document
> layouts, LaTeX can be a little challenging, but if your documents fit
> one of the standard document classes then its pretty good. LaTeX would
> probably only work for you if you had some guru type person who set up
> templates that the other people could use so they didn't have to
> become too knowledgeable about LaTeX.
>
> Another option might be OpenOffice. Essentially its Word without the
> proprietary-ness of Word.

I believe there are WYSIWYG editors for laTeX (or however you capitalize
it.)  I don't recall their names offhand, though.

Some clarification of OpenOffice.  Their fileformat is actually
compressed XML -- you can open it up in winzip and look at it yourself.
So, if needed, you could convert it by script to some other format --
though I wouldn't envy the task.  It also exports as standard MS types.

OpenOffice provides a word processor, a spreadsheet app, and a slideshow
app (and probably more stuff I haven't noticed).  It's about 95% on
importing/exporting to MS formats; the fewer crazy features you use, the
closer it will be, of course.

I also have heard that OO.org is working on Reveal Codes for their next
release -- which, if true, has me drooling.  That's the biggest thing I
miss about WordPerfect.

--
monique
Please respond to the group OR to my email, but not both.  (Group preferred.)