On 12/19/2013 11:07 AM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> On 12/19/2013 9:54 AM, Verde Denim wrote:
>> Just checking in to get a consensus -
>>
>> I'm running a (very stable) Debian workstation with Wheezy that has a
>> lot of development/testing applications installed. I tried an install of
>> hopper disassembler that threw errors concerning GLIBC and libffi so I
>> contacted the package maintainers who told me that they setup an
>> environment with Debian Jessie and the package works as expected. I'd
>> like to work with this package, but am a curious to know if upgrading
>> the release from Wheezy to Jessie might cause other issues with the
>> large number of packages already running well. Any input, as always, is
>> greatly appreciated.
> Why take any chances?  Install/run Jessie and the application in a
> virtual machine.

Stan

Thanks for the reply. I thought of that, but the package I'm after is an
integral part of my test platform for assessing mobile code. I really do
need to have it in the toolbox. Maybe a more pertinent question is - how
stable is Jessie at this point... If the basics of a workstation
platform are workable, I might take a chance on upgrading. I also
thought of the 'safer' path in building a vm, adding each app to see how
it goes and determine what needs to be 'tweaked' as I go, and finally,
building a physical system from the virtual one (assuming VirtualBox
allows this to occur on a solid state drive). The dist-upgrade would be
the shorter path, but I don't want to clobber an entire environment in
an effort to save myself some work.

--
Regards

Jack
Boston Tea Party, Coercive Acts, Powder Alarm, Revolution
Lessons (Mistakes) not learned are bound to be repeated.