Verde Denim writes:
> ...is there more control I can exercise over the updating of the
> distro other than 'apt-get dist-upgrade' ?

First do 'apt-get upgrade'.  This will do everything that can be done
without any removals or installation of new packages.  It may suffice to
get you to the point where you can install the package you need.  Do not
proceed until this command runs without error ("Some packages have not
been upgraded" is not an error).  Then do 'apt-get -s dist-upgrade' and
study the proposed list of changes.  You may want to implement some of
them one at a time.  Then do 'apt-get dist-upgrade'.  If you use Gnome
expect trouble.
--
John Hasler
jhas...@newsguy.com