Steve Litt wrote:
> I really want to use Jack, but every time I've tried, I failed
> miserably and gotten no sound. Is there some special mindset you need
> when installing/configuring Jack, and if so, where can I find out about
> it?

http://jackaudio.org/

http://jackaudio.org/faq/

https://github.com/jackaudio/jackaudio.github.com/wiki

Also, you can try the Linux Audio Users mailing list.

> My understanding of Jack (and please correct me if I'm wrong), is that
> it's like being able to patchcord together all sorts of software
> sound processor boxes, in whatever configuration I want. I'd *love* to
> be able to do that.

Yes, JACK is brilliant, mature, designed for professional audio use,
lightweight, and has been ported to OSX.

There are two version of jackd, the JACK routing daemon,
jackd1 and jackd2.  They differ slightly, but both work fine.

There are a few wrinkles if you want to use Pulse Audio
*and* JACK.

And now a brief plug: if you want recording, playback,
mixing, effects processing etc. and don't need video, the
most lightweight and powerful tool is probably Ecasound. The
easiest way to use Ecasound is Nama. ;-)

The Debian package for Nama is out of date, but it does
install from CPAN using 'cpanm Audio::Nama' or 'cpan
Audio::Nama'.

If you want to mix audio and MIDI, and need a kitchen sink
of features, other apps (Ardour, Qtractor, Rosegarden) may
be easier.

Joel

> Thanks,
>
> SteveT
>
> Steve Litt                *  http://www.troubleshooters.com/
> Troubleshooting Training  *  Human Performance
>

> --

Joel Roth