On Thu, 18 Sep 2014 06:14:00 -0500
"Martin G. McCormick" <mar...@server1.shellworld.net> wrote:

> Marko Randjelovic writes:
> > Did you try with another kernel?
>
>       Well, indirectly. As I mentioned, the system has always
> exhibited this behavior slightly for several years through a
> number of kernels. The biggest change, though, was when I
> changed out the conventional 10 GB hard drive for a slightly
> larger flash drive that was also about 15 years newer.
>
>       I think it is some sort of bus contention problem. The
> system has two IDE controllers. One has the boot drive on the
> master position plus a second conventional hard drive on the
> slave position for /home. The other IDE controller has a CDRW
> drive in the master position and a second CDRW drive in slave.
> I can always make the sound problem worse by doing
> disk-intensive activity on the controller that has the two fixed
> disk drives.

If I were you I would download kernel source to experiment with
relevant kernel options, but first try:
1. use hdparm to see if your hard drives support DMA and if it is
activated;
2. change IO scheduler to 'deadline' by adding to kernel boot line
"elevator=deadline".

Kind regards

--
http://markorandjelovic.hopto.org

One should not be afraid of humans.
Well, I am not afraid of humans, but of what is inhuman in them.
    Ivo Andric, "Signs near the travel-road"