Bret Busby <b...@busby.net> wrote:
> On 2/5/23 20:23, Michel Verdier wrote:
> > Le 2 mai 2023 Bret Busby a écrit :
> >
> >> I expect that, by context, running
> >> apt purge
> >> without the restriction specifying particular package, will apply
> >> apt purge
> >> to all installed packages, according to what purge does, in
> >> relation to packages.
> >
> > But as "apt purge <package>" remove this package and remove
> > configuration for this package, I hope that "apt purge" will not
> > remove "all installed packages". Personnally I will not test it...
> >
> I believe that this is a case of a problem with having different
> primary languages (me, English, the above poster, French), with
> things getting "lost in translation".
>
> I did not mean that purge will remove all installed languages; as
> according to my last previous post in this thread (I think it was my
> last previous post - I am not sure);
> apt purge
> apparently removes obsolete configuration files (orphaned
> configuration files - that would have been associated with only
> packages that have been removed), and, so, where a particular package
> is specified as an argument to the command, all obsolete
> configuration files associated with the package, will be removed,
> and, where no package is specified as an argument to the command, all
> obsolete configuration files for "all installed packages", will be
> removed.
>
> No suggestion has been made, insofar as I am aware, other than in the
> above post, that using
> apt purge
> will remove all installed packages.

I think you're all speculating too far. It says it will purge 'one or
more packages specified via regex(7), glob(7) or exact match'. So if you
specify none, I expect it will purge none.

Oh, and 'purge is identical to remove except that packages are removed
and purged (any configuration files are deleted too)'. It doesn't JUST
remove config files.