Hi,

>> I expect that, by context, running
>> apt purge
>> without the restriction specifying particular package, will apply apt
>> purge to all installed packages, according to what purge does, in
>> relation to packages.
>
> But as "apt purge <package>" remove this package and remove configuration for
> this package, I hope that "apt purge" will not remove "all installed
> packages". Personnally I will not test it...

As I was trying to find out what would work and if I was doing something wrong
getting rid of old kernels....

After upgrading a new kernel for a week I will do apt autoremove to get rid of
the old kernel(s).
Debian will automatically keep the current kernel and the previous in the /boot
folder.
Somehow, I get the feeling there either is a bug which causes the
/usr/lib/modules/ folder not to be cleaned up or there are somehow links to it
from packages that were updated when a specific kernel was active.

Just created a snapshot of my servers and then did:
apt autoremove
apt purge
apt clean
and I still have a working system so it will not just get rid of all installed
packages. :-)
But... I still also have all those folders in /usr/lib/modules

I am now cleaning some by hand. Running kernel -22 and having -21 as backup
kernel I did:
xxxxx:/usr/lib/modules# rm -rd 5.10.0-16-amd64/
xxxxx:/usr/lib/modules# rm -rd 5.10.0-17-amd64/
xxxxx:/usr/lib/modules# rm -rd 5.10.0-18-amd64/
etc.
and then a reboot to see if all is well. ;-) No "error" in syslog and my dhcp
server is still running. :-)

But.... is this a bug in the cleanup of an old kernel or are there realy links
to the old modules, links that are now broken?
If it s a bug, who will report it? I know only enough to report the symptoms.

BTW I noticed this not only in my bullseye systems but also in my older busters
systems, The folders are just smaller and therefore it did not realy impact my
diskspace on / which is why I never noticed it.

Bonno Bloksma