Hello,

>>> I don't understand why you involve a terminal emulator in the process.
>>> Do you need to see the data that goes through the COM port displayed
>>> in a terminal (like minicom)?
>>
>> People interact with the (remote) application by means of the terminal
>> emulator. Things get sent to/from the printer based on escape sequences
>> initiated by the application.

>Desktop sharing works fine with gnome these days.  Why not interact
>with the application through that kinda locally?

You suggest an interesting alternative by using the desktop sharing feature
available with GNOME to interact with the application remotely. I was not aware
of this particular use of the GNOME feature; I primarily knew it for remote
control and screen sharing purposes. At this stage, I am not yet familiar
enough with GNOME to provide a comprehensive opinion on this approach.
However, I want to emphasize that within the scope of the mission I have been
entrusted with, I do not have the authority to modify the server application's
functionalities. I am subject to the constraints and decisions of the project
team. Therefore, implementing this suggestion goes beyond the boundaries of my
current responsibilities.

>> In the original (proprietary) application, the dispatching functionality
>
> Dispatching functionality?
>
>> is integrated in the terminal emulator, so it is understandable that
>> pheoebus phoebus wants to keep that structure in the replacement.

In this project to migrate the application server from Unix to Linux, the
primary objective was to maintain the stability and functionality of the server
component, while the client side (the terminal) underwent an evaluation to
explore open-source alternatives to the proprietary terminal emulator solution,
all while preserving the existing functionality.

> Well, I'd have to be quit a bit older to have experienced "real"
> terminals like that.  I do remember printers accepting some escape
> sequences to control their functionality, though.
>
> If this application is running on such a terminal, maybe it's time to
> find a more modern und thus more feasible replacement ...  An ancient
> terminal may cease to work eventually and be very difficult to repair
> once it does ...

This application does not run on a physical "real terminal" but on a terminal
emulator, which is software running on a Windows-based workstation (Wyse).
Currently, there are various hardware options available for this, including
proprietary solutions with newer versions of Wyse and proprietary terminal
emulators, as well as Android-based devices that can fulfill the task with
proprietary emulators.

However, as someone working with Linux and for whom open source and freedom
have significance in my profession, I proposed to explore if there might be
open-source solutions that can meet this requirement. If there are none
available at this time, then so be it, but at least considering this option in
our evaluation is an important step for us when it's feasible.

Regards,
Thierry