On Wed, 24 Jan 2024, Nicolas George wrote:

It is rather ugly to have the same device be both a RAID with its
superblock in the hole between GPT and first partition and the GPT in
the hole before the RAID superblock, but it serves its purpose: the EFI
partition is kept in sync over all devices.

Until your UEFI bios writes to the disk before the system has booted.

I'll be interested to hear how this goes and whether it's reliable.

I tried it years ago, using a no-superblock raid and custom initrd
(initramfs as I think it was then) to start it, but upgrades, and even
kernel updates, became 'terrifying'. Now I use dd to copy the start of
the disk...