On Mon 29 Jan 2024 at 19:31:50 (+0100), Michael Kiermaier wrote:
> On 1/29/24 18:59, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > "okular" is important here. Only limited set of file name suffixes are
> > > allowed for some commands. You do not need to have okular installed,
> > > completion rules are part of bash-completion.
> >
> > That's my point as well.  I'm trying to get the OP to determine whether
> > it's the programmable completion for "okular" in particular that's at
> > fault, or bash itself (hint: it's not).
>
> Thank you for your responses! After 'complete -r' the problem
> disappears. I should add that I never touched the autocomplete settings.

No, but you lose your so-called component (2) filtering.

For me, a better workaround is, when the directory path gets "stuck":

. Press HOME,
. Type any letter that makes a "wrong" command name (eg aokular),
. Press END,
. Press TAB and carry on using completion for directory/filenames,
. Once you reach the right directory, and if you need filtering,
  press HOME DELETE END and you've got filtering back again.
. Obviously press HOME DELETE if you didn't do the previous step.

> I will submit a bug report for the package bash-completion.

Cheers,
David.