On 21/2/24 10:47, Felix Miata wrote:
I didn't think so, which begs the question why OP Keith is using it. :p
--

I read somewhere about 2 years ago, that it automagically de-duped data when it detected I was copying the same file to different directories. It's not deliberate, but I have often found copies of my files amongst files I have backed up for my wife (where I have put copies of my important stuff occasionally. And more common if I rsync a usb to a new destination - the usb I use at a volunteer job with portable apps on a foreign PC. I found what I think was that article the other week; and it now talks about a manual process to de-dupe the data. I don't believe I could have skipped the most important paragraph in the article. I prefer rdfind -makehardlinks. Writing to btrfs feels quicker than ext4

But why use btrfs on a system partition. I like to try new stuff. Like I get a nagging thought of trying arch linux regularly. I resist mostly...... I should use sid as my daily driver, but I'm not good at asking for help; and I get the feeling that some people here would want to tell me something like 'I made my bed, lay in it.'

So I make do with using developer versions of firefox & thunderbird and beta libreOffice (24.02 I think) They are on a separate partition from my system.

--
All the best

Keith Bainbridge

keith.bainbridge.3...@gmail.com