This took actual research to figure out :)  Topica is absolutely a spam house, and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them populating their database with addresses and list demographics from Topica.com.  Many of the lists that Topica sends out are auto-subscribed to by a bot that they operate, so they are merely re-distributing much of the content.

Here's the SBL evidence file for the main Topica block:

http://www.spamhaus.org/sbl/sbl.lasso?query=SBL12236

Here's one of their blocks that I have blacklisted:

http://www.senderbase.org/search?searchString=66.180.244.0%2F25

Here's a nice evidence file from Google:
    http://groups.google.com/groups?q=topica.com+group:*abuse*&start=10&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&scoring=d&selm=e1e3rvkq62pvs1mi997tamhk701s571m5a%40thor.wirehub.nl&rnum=12

Here's what happens with their unconfirmed list subscriptions (4-9 year old child porn list memberships):
    http://groups.google.com/groups?q=topica.com+group:*abuse*&start=20&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&scoring=d&selm=200310170813.h9H8DauA024020%40jupiter.gwalter.demon.co.uk&rnum=22

The SBL listing as well as Google Groups suggests strongly that they are using their list business as a part of their address collection, or in the very least they don't hardly at all practice a foolproof method of verifying memberships in their lists as fake addresses get subscribed, and on person even complained about getting subscribed to something like 28 of their lists all at once as suspected retribution for something, hearsay of course, but there's lots more, 5,480 matches in abuse newsgroups in fact.

Topica -> http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=ISO-8859-1&scoring=d&q=Topica+group%3A*abuse*&btnG=Google+Search

And some other abuse newsgroup hits:

tpca.net -> http://groups.google.com/groups?scoring=d&q=tpca.net+group:*abuse*
servitall.com -> http://groups.google.com/groups?scoring=d&q=Servitall.com+group:*abuse*
pl00.com -> http://groups.google.com/groups?scoring=d&q=pl00.com+group:*abuse*

These guys clearly front their listserv business as a way to enable their spam operations, and spamming listserv operators take advantage of their policies in order to gain entry into your system.  How could you possibly want to let this stuff into your server?

As far as the other SBL FP's that you said you have relating to personal E-mail, I'd be very curious as to what the SBL listing said in relation.  SBL has an FP rate that far exceeds my own on my system.  I'd drop them substantially in weighting if I felt that their standards were lacking.

Matt

Bill Landry wrote:
Matt, legitimate messages are legitimate no matter the source that they come from, would you not agree with this?  You would have deleted all of these messages, as well the other dozen or so legitimate personal messages I found.  I don't see any credibility in your position here that it is okay to delete legitimate messages based on where they are delivered from.

Bill