At 05:05 PM 1/12/2004, Sanford Whiteman wrote:
> I guess that was a noble try... but it didn't work.

Well, it probably worked, just not enough. :)

Yeah, I'll buy that! :)

> I'm  going  to try to separate the spamd/spamc processes and see how
> that  goes.

That  will alleviate the utilization issue, for sure. Depending on the
age  of  your  server,  you  should  think  about adding an additional
processor.  I  find that that's one fun part about running mail on old
boxes  with  new disks: as it gives you ability to scale up processing
on  the  cheap  as  needed,  while  still  giving peak performance for
disk-starved  tasks.  A lot of people inadvertently err on the side of
processor power by buying new boxes and ignoring DASD optimization.

Unfortunately, this particular server is out of space for new drives internally. Now realistically, I could rebuild it and do it right, and it would probably last a very long time. When I got the server, it had 4 drives configured for Raid 5 in a single logical drive with 3 partitions. I added two more drives in a mirrored set, and moved the spool to this. That helped drastically. I may look into external scsi drives...

> I  know  this  server is grossly underpowered for what I'm trying to
> do,  but I inherited it this way, and I don't think I'm gonna get to
> buy a new one here anytime soon. The person before didn't understand
> how to spec out a mailserver.

Gotcha.

One  thing  you should know about that I'm building into SPAMC32 right
now  is  a  SKIPIFWEIGHT  option  that  will return 0 immediately if a
(Declude) weight has already been exceeded, thus saving processing for
way out-of-range spam.

Now that would be awesome. If there's anything I can do to help, let me know. I don't know a much about VB (I think that's what it's written in?) but I'd be willing to help in anyway I can.

Thanks,
Russ