At 05:52 PM 1/12/2004, Matt wrote:
Russ,

I'm not sure what actions will result in bypassing Declude Virus, but HOLD and DELETE surely do. Since over 80% of E-mail is spam on the typical system, that should save you a great deal over processing everything with Virus, though JunkMail is where most of the processing goes when you are running custom filters. I'm not sure if you have upgraded to 1.77i7+ yet, but the SKIPIFWEIGHT, MAXWEIGHT and END functionality was a huge savings for my server. Even re-ordering your custom filters to put the bigger hogs with the least impact and rarest hits at the bottom was a big help with SKIPIFWEIGHT. Probably more than 80% of my spam never hits a custom filter, and 97% of my spam never hits every filter file.

Yeah, I'm currently running 1.77i15 as of this morning, and I've been using your latest filters. Previously, I had to remove your old filters due to processing limitations, but the new ones are great!!

Yeah, I guess it makes since that if I'm stopping 160,000 of the message with Junkmail, that I now only have to scan 40,000 messages for virii.

I just upgraded to IMail 8 and am using WHITELIST AUTH and PREWHITELIST ON, and that also saves on processing. I'm nowhere near your utilization, but I hate to ever see my processors pegged due to the fact that the machine currently performs many tasks besides E-mail.

I haven't yet turned those options on, but I guess I probably should. I hate to see a server this busy as well, but fortunately, all it does is mail. I'm still debating on a gateway mail server (like IMGate)... Still weighing all the Pros and Cons to try and determine if it's worth my time to learn a whole new mail server software package. Only time will tell...

-Russ