There is no perfect Spam or Virus system.  There will either be false
positives, missed Spam or Viruses or a combination of both.
Therefore, if the customer is expecting absolute perfection, then I
think the problem is one of a customer with unrealistic expectations.

You said, "what happens if tommorow turns out that scan engines has
catched many legit messages as viruses due to a new buggy singature."
Well, then you need to HOLD ALL messages tagged as containing a virus,
if you are that anal about it and that makes your original point moot.
For instance, you've solved nothing if you had "bagal" hard coded to
be deleted and that was the buggy one in the signature file.  How
often does this really happen - does it happen more than 1% of the
time?  It hasn't shown to be an issue in our case, but I think we'd
all be interested in your statistics which show it as a significant
exposure to false positives.

You said, "or because a legit message unexpected contains something
"sospicious." My previous comment was to hold all of those tagged as
suspicious. Do you have good statistics on these, which show a
significant false positive rate?  I think we'd all be interested in
your finding . . .

Thanks,

Friday, January 27, 2006, 10:56:56 AM, Markus Gufler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> aren't you out hunting mosquitos with hand grenades?

MG> If the "mosquito" is a very nasty but important customer it's bether using
MG> tank's, mg's and whatever you can organize in order to prevent painfull
MG> stings...

MG> On a day liky today I could turn on DELETEVIRUSES with nearly zero risk in
MG> order to keep the server disk clean. But what happens if tommorow turns out
MG> that one of the scan engines has catched many legit messages as viruses due
MG> to a new buggy singature or because a legit message unexpected contains
MG> something "sospicious". How do you explain to customers that the messages
MG> are already deleted?

MG> F-Prot's exit code 8 (suspicious files) has catched a lot of new unknow
MG> viruses before singatures was available. So I use this exit code in my
MG> config to hold messages. But suspicous could also be something legit we
MG> don't know at the moment.

MG> As I can understand a feature like DELETEVIRUSNAME wouldn't require more
MG> then 30 lines of code and 3 hours of work and it would eliminate any need
MG> for own scripts on each server. This is not what I consider a hand
MG> grenade...

MG> Markus

MG> ---
MG> [This E-mail was scanned for viruses by Declude EVA www.declude.com]

MG> ---
MG> This E-mail came from the Declude.Virus mailing list.  To
MG> unsubscribe, just send an E-mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED], and
MG> type "unsubscribe Declude.Virus".    The archives can be found
MG> at http://www.mail-archive.com.

----
Don Brown - Dallas, Texas USA     Internet Concepts, Inc.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]       http://www.inetconcepts.net
(972) 788-2364                    Fax: (972) 788-5049
----

---
[This E-mail was scanned for viruses by Declude EVA www.declude.com]