John Embretsen wrote:
2) I'm surprised by the concept of removing the class files but not
removing the jar files; I have trouble thinking of situations in
which I'd want to rebuild the class files but not rebuild the jars.

I think some developers feel that it is more convenient to include the
classes directory in their "sandbox classpath" instead of all the derby
jars. This means that the jars don't have to be re-built every time the
developer wants to try something out, thus saving some time (albeit not
much).

I understand having a target that builds only the classes, and not the
jars. I agree that it's very convenient to point my classpath at the
classes directory.

What I don't understand is a target that *cleans* only the classes, and
not the jars. I think it makes it too easy for the distracted developer
to accidentally run with the wrong code, by using the old jars.

Andrew's proposed change to "ant clobber" to clean the jars as well as
the classes will address my need; I just need to train myself to start
using "ant clobber".

thanks,

bryan