Christoph
Gesendet:Montag, 12. Dezember 2016 um 11:25 UhrVon:Taylor
Jenkinstaylor.a.jenkins@gmail.comAn:Christoph
schferchristoph-schae...@gmx.decc:LibreOffice
designdes...@global.libreoffice.org,Heiko
Tietzetietze.heiko@googlemail.comBetreff:Re: Aw: [libreoffice-design] Fwd: Re:
Re: Re: LibreColor-HLC palette
I downloaded the palettes availabe fromhttp://www.dtpstudio.de/palettes.htmland
looked at the CIE HLC palettes for several of the software packages I am
familiar with. None of the palette files I looked at had any copyright notice
of any kind, so Im wondering why its necessary for the LibreColor-HLC.soc to
contain a copyright notice?

I understand the importance of protecting the integrity of the color standard.
I believe this could be done exactly the way LibreOffice protects the integrity
of its product through the use of trademarks rather than copyrights. Is it
acceptable to include code in LO under a 3rd party Trademark?

I think this approach of attaching a trademark, if acceptable tofreieFarbe e.V.
and LO, would allow for more elegant integration into the source code, and
provide a greater user experience, with the assurance that users are using an
official palette. Users would then be able adjust the palette for their own
needs if desired, or make derivatives, such as creating a smaller version for
their own corporate branding colors. These derivatives would simply no longer
carry the trademark.

I think it makes a lot of sense for LO to be able to work with standards
organizations in ways that enhance user experience while preserving both
freedom and standards. Lets make the discussion about how to make it happen, by
offering solutions, and alternatives, rather than just pointing out problems.

Taylor Jenkins

On Dec 12, 2016 12:31 AM, Christoph Schferchristoph-schaefer@gmx.dewrote:Thank
you, Heiko.Some details may have been lost in translation, so I take the
liberty to clarify my position and situation.1) Ive been using this office
suite since it was called StarOffice, beginning with v. 3.0 Business Pack (or
whatever it was called back then). I tried others but always returned to
StarOffice, OpenOffice.org, now LibreOffice.2) I still think LibreOffice and
*especially* LibreOffice with its many improvements and enhancements is the
best Office Suite out there, at least for my needs. Its style management is
second to none, and the list of import filters is breathtaking.3) Ive tested a
lot of closed and open source Office Suites for use in cross-media workflows,
and theres only a single one I can recommend, namely LO.4) freieFarbe e.V. is a
non-profit organisation, dedicated to liberate colour from its proprietary
chains (Pantone, RAL etc.) and to establish truly free colour systems based on
open standards like CIE L*a*b*.5) We hoped to create a win-win situation by
offering LibreOffice the integration of the HLC palette. Since there is a very
good physical colour fan available at a low price, which has been thoroughly
tested in all kinds of workflows, it would help promoting LibreOffice as the
office suite of choice in many creative departments or for self-employed
creatives. The advantage for freieFarbe was supposed to be the promotion of its
vendor-independent colour standard with a tried-and-tested HLC colour
palette.6) Im not opposed to an extension, but I havent created one before, and
I simply do not have the time to get acquainted with all of the necessary
details before your 5.3 release. If someone could step up and create the OXT
file, Id be grateful for the assistance.7) If you can find a way to make the
HLC colours a part of 5.3, all the better, but the colour values need to be
protected against inadvertent or intentional modification in the default
installation. Its OK if users store a local copy and modify it, but the
original needs to be the same across all platforms, because otherwise it would
become useless.freieFarbe e.V. wants LibreOffice to succeed in the creative
space, which also needs an office suite. We even promoted it successfully in
Switzerland as the better alternative to MS Office. So please let us find a way
to make LibreOffice the office tool of choice for publishing
workflows.Thanks,ChristophGesendet: Sonntag, 11. Dezember 2016 um 10:14
UhrVon:Heiko
Tietzetietze.heiko@googlemail.comAn:design@global.libreoffice.orgdesign@global.libreoffice.orgBetreff:
 [libreoffice-design] Fwd: Aw: Re: Re: Re: LibreColor-HLC paletteHi all,I had a
conversation with Christoph Schaefer about the palette thing in the last days.
He is not happy with what happened and in particular how the communication was
going. Im translating his last email excluding the exaggerated parts just for
information and not to start a lengthy discussion. While in my opinion we
improved the color palette handling, the discussion was indeed not really
welcoming. Thats my responsibility as the initial discussion could have been
done out of the bug tracker, for instance. But after all I believe that
transparency is paramount for open source. Nevertheless we all should remind to
find positive wording when talking to contributors.Christoph:If I get you right
its now up to me to create the extension. But that makes it necessary to become
familiar with it, especially since palette handling was changed for 5.3. I have
no time currently because new Scribus releases are planned. Furthermore I have
two book projects on my hands. I canceled a publication in the
SwissPublisherregarding the exemplary handling of color palettes in LibreOffice
compared to MS Office since you scrapped it all. Waiting now for the 5.3
release...The Free Color e.V aimed to give LibreOffice a treat as the HLC
palette fits perfectly into the cross media workflow, which is a perfect
argument pro LibO. Even when its the goal of fC to unleash color from
proprietary restrictions.Tor Lillqvists approach was pragmatic and makes sense
from my POV. I would have never expected that it results in such a laborious
and time-consuming procedure.And in a follow-up email:I still believe that LibO
is the best office suite, especially for the publishing.What bothers me, as a
pragmatist, are the formalism and harping on about principles, also from the
usability experts.Guess his point is clear now.Cheers,Heiko-------- Forwarded
Message --------Subject: Aw: Re:Re: Re: LibreColor-HLC paletteDate: Sun, 11 Dec
2016 09:16:56 +0100From:Christoph schferchristoph-schae...@gmx.deto: Heiko
Tietzetietze.heiko@googlemail.comMit der Extension sollte jetzt aber alles
deinen Wnschen entsprechen. Oder?Wenn ich Dich richtig verstanden habe, soll
ich die Extension selbst produzieren. Dazu muich mich erst einarbeiten, zumal
Du ja mitgeteilt hast, dasich in 5.3 die Behandlung von Paletten grundlegend
gendert hat. Ich habe aber momentan keine Zeit dafr, denn Scribus 1.4.7 und
1.5.3 stehen vor der Verffentlichung. Darber hinaus habe ich noch zwei
Buchprojekte am Hals, von denen eines noch vor Weihnachten fertig werden mu.
Einen Artikel im SchweizerPublisherzum vorbildlichen Umgang von LibreOffice mit
Farbpaletten im Vergleich zu MS Office habe ich absagen mssen, weil Ihr
anscheinend allesber Bord geworfen habt. Ich warte also bis zur Verffentlichung
von 5.3 ab, wie das aussieht...Der Verein freieFarbe e.V. war eigentlich der
Absicht, dem LibreOffice-Projekt etwas Gutes tun wollen, weil es sich mit der
HLC-Palette im Gegensatz zu MS Office perfekt in einen Cross-Media-Workflow
einpassen lt, was eigentlich eines der besten Werbeargumente for LO ist. Auch
ist es ein Ziel des Vereins, Farbe von ihren proprietren Fesseln zu
befreien....Tor Lillqvists Ansatz war pragmatisch und aus meiner Sicht
sinnvoll, und ich htte nicht gedacht, daaus unserem Angebot eine derart
umstndliche und (fr mich) zeitaufwendige Prozedur werden wrde.Schnen
SonntagChristoph...Ich glaube LibreOffice ist das beste Office-Paket, gerade
auch frs Publishing.Was mich als Pragmatiker jedoch strt, sind Formalismus und
Prinzipenreiterei, auch von seiten der Usability-Experten.--To unsubscribe
e-mail
to:design+unsubscribe@global.libreoffice.orgProblems?http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/Posting
 guidelines + more:http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/NetiquetteList
archive:http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/design/All messages sent to
this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted--To unsubscribe