On Wed, 2019-01-02 at 15:15 +0100, Milan Crha via desktop-devel-list
wrote:
> On Wed, 2018-12-19 at 14:37 +0000, Philip Withnall wrote:
> > 3. I’d like to see continued movement towards disallowing direct
> > pushes to git, and requiring all commits to go through MRs (and
> > CI).
>
>       Hi,
> I hope this won't go through without a good research and reasoning.

I only care that the option is available for each maintainer to
disallow direct pushes; not that the policy is applied to all modules.

> Any such requirement would be kind of showstopper for me personally.
> It
> would be just double work for me when coding (issue is not merge
> request), causing awful commit history, resulting in unbelievably
> harder effort required to produce NEWS file content (yes, I do use
> commit messages to fill the NEWS files in a semi-automated way saving
> my time, which I can spend on more productive things). To name a few
> major obstacles at least.

I’ve just written this script for generating a NEWS entry from `git
log` plus information from GitLab, which you might find useful:

https://gitlab.gnome.org/pwithnall/gitlab-changelog

Philip