On Sat, 2021-02-27 at 10:26 -0800, Philip Chimento via desktop-devel-
list wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 23, 2021 at 5:54 AM Emmanuele Bassi via desktop-devel-list
> <desktop-devel-list@gnome.org> wrote:
> > The release team can do "non maintainer" releases, of course; the
> > problem is, of course, that maintainers can be *very* protective of
> > their fiefdoms, so the release team has to wait for either being
> > explicitly asked to do a release, or for an answer from maintainers
> > as to whether they'll be able to do a release. We *cannot* have it
> > both ways: either the release team can take over your project for a
> > specific task—do a release, keep the build running—or we have to wait
> > until we get an answer from the maintainer.
>
> The ideas about automating releases mentioned elsewhere in the thread
> sound like great time-savers, but I primarily came here to add to what
> Emmanuele said: I'd be quite happy for the release team to have the
> power to take over releasing my module if I forget, but I've seen some
> astonishing vitriol directed at the release team on this very mailing
> list when they have done similar things in the past.
>
>  I wouldn't blame them if they didn't even want to get near this topic.
>
> As a community, if we weight the autonomy of maintainers so heavily
> that we're willing to tolerate mailing list flames about it, then we
> don't also get to complain when nobody steps in to help with
> maintainers' tasks.

I'm pretty sure that most of us, myself included, wouldn't mind, as
long as the job was done to a standard.

It's like giving your mate a key to your place so they can do laundry
while you're away. You don't expect them to have flooded the place when
you get back.