Jan Holesovsky wrote:
Hi,

Hi Jan,

During the OOoCon, Petr had a presentation about the OOo package splitting. The most important part for a (Linux) package maintainer was to be able to build parts of OpenOffice.org separately; the thing is that with all the localizations, we are unable to get the build times under some 7 hours. But the build could be done nicely in parallel (on the level of machines, not processors) if the sources were split correctly, with correct rpms and -devel rpms [of course, applies to debs as well ;-)]. And of course, the -noarch

Sorry, I do not understand this. How do you want to build f.e. ooo-bootstrap, ooo-libs-core, and ooo-apps-writer in parrallel? Bootstrap stuff like dmake or solenv is needed everywhere. Building writer needs nearly all lower libraries in place.

parts like the translations could be built just once for all architectures.

I propose the following split of the sources [the sizes are of the unpacked sources]:

75M     ure
25M     ooo-bootstrap
141M    ooo-libs-core
101M    ooo-libs-guitoolkit
142M    ooo-libs-3rdparty
17M     ooo-apps-base
28M     ooo-apps-calc
38M     ooo-apps-extensions
14M     ooo-apps-chart
40M     ooo-apps-impress
40M     ooo-apps-writer
59M     ooo-artwork
107M    ooo-filters
888M    ooo-l10n
48M     ooo-sdk
72M     ooo-testing
(1.8G   total)

(See below the content of these tarballs/archives). I don't want the granularity to be too fine (we would get the modules we have now, but as separate packages), and OTOH the current 5 packages are too few. The build order of these would be:

ooo-bootstrap
ooo-libs-3rdparty
ure
ooo-libs-guitoolkit
ooo-libs-core
[the rest in whatever sequence/in parallel]

This would tremendously decrease the learning curve for the new developers as well. Imagine someone who wants to start hacking on Calc. Instead of the monster 1.8G sources, he would have to handle 512MB. Additionally, the goal

How should that work with your proposal? He would need everything 'below' calc. Except he uses, what we provide anyway: download 'solver' tarball and than check out just module 'sc'. That's exactly for the purpose you mention.

of the modern Linux distros should be to get rid of the ooo-libs-3rdparty completely - it contains just stuff that is available from other sources anyway [-system stuff], and the distros have packages for them -, thus additional 142M down, doing it just 370M. And that is much more pleasant, isn't it? ;-)

Of course, this is not finalized etc. - that's why I'm asking for comments. So far I was able to build in this order with few hacks, eg. scp2 should be split so that the file lists are local, the l10n part must be buildable separtately, etc.

So - what do you think? ;-) ooo-l10n in the current proposal contains (in

Personally, I do not like spitting up sources at all. But that's my very personal opinion. Besides this, I do not understand how your proposal could work (see above). So I would propose existing and well tested means to achieve nearly the same goals. F.e., the build tool provides a possibility to build distributed on several computers.

addition to the few modules) all the localize.sdf's - should we split this a bit as well?

There already is work in progress on taking localize.sdf files out of the modules and concentrate them in one place.

Following is the proposal what I think belongs where:

[...]

Ruediger