Rüdiger Timm wrote:

> Personally, I do not like spitting up sources at all. But that's my very
> personal opinion.

Splitting up source definitely is a good idea. Maybe not for people
building everything anyway but it would be a huge step ahead for the
casual developer like volunteers, distro maintainers etc. And no, Solver
tarballs are not a replacement for this, they are yet another workaround
as I have learned when I had an email conversation with Petr.

So I definitely second the approach to split the source. The problem is
- as I reported in my presentation in Barcelona - that we have to rework
some libraries and even sources to move that forward and to effectively
gain anything from this. Currently we can achieve only a small benefit
but as always a large journey starts with the first step.

> Besides this, I do not understand how your proposal could work (see
> above). So I would propose existing and well tested means to achieve
> nearly the same goals. F.e., the build tool provides a possibility to
> build distributed on several computers.

You always refer to your "always build everything" approach. There's
more than this. Having a huge monolithic project structure and
workarounding this by providing tools to tame the beast is better than
nothing but perhaps it's time to improve. The result will not make a big
difference for the "always everything" people but it will help others.

So once reasonable packages have been defined we can think about
splitting the source also. The first preparations have been done (URE
split) or are under work (sdf split as you mentioned yourself). I think
there are a lot of reasonale packages that can be identified right now
where building them separately will work. I opt for helpcontent,
binfilter and all the applications.

And the next goal should be getting updated packages by just building
the source packages needed, not by always building full installation
sets. Can you imagine what a relief it would be not to build and pack
everything because you already have the binaries in your OOo
installation and only rebuild the Calc package because you only wanted
to fix a small bug in Calc?

Of course to be able to gain something from this we also need
"development packages" for the OOo packages. So there's something to do,
but why not start? Of course I take it for granted that those suggesting
the change will help doing it. ;-)

Ciao,
Mathias

Please don't reply to "[EMAIL PROTECTED]".