Hello Brian

I think this proposal has 3 sections.
1. Unifing SSL behavior on browsers.
2. Altering the criteria for cipher suite selection in Firefox (actually NSS)
3. removing certain cipher suites from the default firefox ciphersuite.

On 1:
I dont see the point, but I am not against.

On 2:
The proposal is not clear. I want an algorithmic definition. For example in
nss we can see in sslenum.c :
-strong ciphers before weaker
- national ciphers before international
- faster ciphers before slow ciphers.

But your proposal it not clear. Here is my reverse engineering of the criteria to get to your list:

1. Message Authentication: MD5 last.
    rationale: security
2. Key exchange (round1): PFS before non-PFS suites
   rationale: privacy, goal stop supporting non-PFS suites.
3. Bulk encoding (round1): aes(all variations) before national ciphers before 3des before rc4 before des before export ciphers before null. rationale: security, aes is the most studied cipher both in implementation and theory. RC4 has shown
    weakness.
reationale2 performance: 3des is slow and does not provide much security over the other ciphers.
4. Authentication (round1) : DSS last
   rationale: it is not really used, want to deprecate.

5. Key Exchange (round2): ECDH before DHE.
   rationale: ECDH allows negotiation form client.
6. Bulk encoding (round 2): 128 AES before 256 AES
   rationale: performance and minimal security gains.
7. Message Authentication: authenticated encryption (GCM) before SHA before SHA256 before sha384
   a. AEAD before HMAC : performance
   b. sha ordering: performance
8. Authentication: RSA before ECDSA
    a. RSA before ECDSA : performance
    b. DSA last: not in use

This criteria gets to your ordering proposal. What do you think of re-framing your list in a criteria like this? (note national ciphers could go in step 6 instead of step 3).

On 3:
I understand the issues with small packets so I agree we need to prune. On this
regard:
national ciphers: concur with Gerv need to talk but I am inclined to remove them
(from the defaults, not from NSS).
removal of null encoding  and auth cipher suites: agreed.
Keeping TLS_DHE_DSS_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA and the only DSS for compatibility: agreed Keeping TLS_RSA_WITH_3DES_EDE_CBC_SHA as the only 3DES for compatibility: agreed
RC4 cipher agreed:removal agreed.
Not adding any TLS 1.2 cipher that does not use PFS agreed.

Not adding:
TLS_(EC?)DHE_RSA_WITH_AES_(128|256)_CBC_SHA256
Disagree I dont think a potential performance issue should prevent us from deploying that suite as there could be sha1 attacks that we dont know of. If we have enough space in the handshake I see no problem in including them. Removal seems like a premature optimization.

Camilo