On 22/08/13 19:21, Robert Relyea wrote:
> The attack profile protection of PFS versus non-PFS is basically two points:
> 1) some government agency could force a server to give up it's private
> keys and decrypt all the traffic sent to that server. But we already
> know that government agencies with such power simply ask for the the
> data on the server.
> 2) some well funded attacker could spend the resources to attack the
> server's private key and get all the traffic sent to it. However, we
> don't actually check to see that the server is giving us a unique key in
> the ephemeral case. A way to cut some of the server cost of DHE/ECDHE is
> to generate a single them key as use it for all connections. We have
> know way of knowing the server is doing this, which brings back this
> particular attack.

3) Someone who has captured some or all of the traffic could use a 0-day
to get into the server and pinch the private key.

This sort of thing is much more likely if the victim is a person of
noteworthiness and the attacker is a government (perhaps that person's
government), but is not the government of the jurisdiction where the
server is based.

As for 2), there are lots of ways a server can sabotage a
seemingly-encrypted connection if it chooses. Why is this one special?

Gerv