On Fri, 2015-05-08 at 15:23 +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> On 08-05-15 15:09, David Woodhouse wrote:
> > On Fri, 2015-05-08 at 14:58 +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> > > In light of that, it would be great if firefox/libnss were to
> > > allow
> > > configuration of PKCS#11 modules externally -- not just on Linux,
> > > but on OSX and Windows too.
> >
> > Well, p11-kit does build on OSX and Windows too but it doesn't have
> > the same status there. On Linux distributions it *is* the
> > platform's
> > mechanism of choice for configuring PKCS#11 tokens. NSS needs to
> > support it if it wants to integrate with the platform properly.
> >
> > On OSX and Windows, p11-kit is just some third-party software.
>
> Which would mean that if this gets to be "the way to do it", we
> don't fix the problem on those platforms -- instead, we just move it
> from "install an individual PKCS#11 module" to "install p11-kit".

Right. On platforms where p11-kit doesn't *already* exist, using it
doesn't help you. It only *adds* work for the end-user.

I suspect the best answer for Windows and OSX is to make NSS integrate
properly by automatically loading nss_capi and its OSX equivalent,
if/when those modules are production-ready. Perhaps it's something to
bear in mind when adding the code to load p11-kit-proxy.so; that on
other platform it might be some *other* module that gets loaded.

FWIW on Linux your installer/package needs to be shipping a module
file like the one in /usr/share/p11-kit/modules/opensc.module (or
isn't the eID card supported by OpenSC anyway, so do people need a
third-party provider?)

--
dwmw2