On Fri, May 8, 2015 6:09 am, David Woodhouse wrote:
>  On Linux distributions it *is* the platform's
>  mechanism of choice for configuring PKCS#11 tokens. NSS needs to
>  support it if it wants to integrate with the platform properly.

I'm sorry to continually push back on this, but you continue to make this
claim. This is a heady claim that lacks any evidence (so far) to support
it, beyond a particular distro.

1) You can't really talk about "the platform's mechanism" for Linux,
unless/until it's part of LSB. Beyond that, you're just waving your hands
in your air saying "for some distros". Linux is a world where a thousand
flowers bloom and a distro exists for every particular person's needs, so
you can't just make broad sweeping statements like this.

2) It is _an_ option for the platform. Indeed, I'd suggest you've got a
cart leading the horse. AFAICT, NSS *is* part of LSB (
http://www.linuxbase.org/betaspecs/lsb/LSB-Common/LSB-Common/requirements.html
) but p11-kit is not. So you can equally argue (and more accurately argue)
that p11-kit is failing to integrate with the platform properly by failing
to register itself with NSS.

I have no fundamental objections to p11-kit - indeed, I think it's quite
handy. But I do take issue with such broad sweeping claims used to argue
for supporting it. It's an option, I get that some distros really like I,
I *personally* like it for some cases, but that does *not* argue it's a
good thing.