I'm actually doing something almost the same. I serialize my objects into
byte[] using Jackson's SMILE format, then compress it using Snappy then store
the byte[] in Cassandra. I actually created a simple Cassandra Type for this
but I hit a wall with cassandra-cli:

Please vote on the JIRA if you are interested.

Validation is pretty simple, you just need to read the value and parse it using
Jackson, if you don't get any exceptions you're JSON/Smile is valid ;)

-- Drew