Sounds awesome Drew.  Mind sharing your custom type?  I just wrote a basic
JSON type and did the validation the same way you did, but I don't have any
SMILE support yet.  It seems that if your type were committed to the
Cassandra codebase then the issue you ran into of the CLI only supporting
built-in types would no longer be a problem for you (though fixing the
issue anyway would be good and I voted for it).  Btw, any reason you
compress it with Snappy yourself instead of just setting sstable_compression
SnappyCompressor<http://www.datastax.com/dev/blog/whats-new-in-cassandra-1-0-compression>and
letting Cassandra do that part?

-Ben