On 21.03.2018 15:41, Ariel Weisberg wrote:
> I'm not clear on what building and bundling our own JRE/JDK accomplishes?

If we talk about OpenJDK, there will be only a single Java version
supported at any time and that is the latest Java version (11, 12, ..).
There is no overlap between supported versions. Therefor it doesn't
really make a lot of sense for us to officially support "a few releases
of the JDK" when we talk about OpenJDK releases. What we'd have to do is
to keep up with new Java versions by testing them and updating our code
base if necessary. Keep in mind that branches like 4.0 and 3.11 will
span several Java versions.

We can do this by communicating a list of branches and corresponding
Java releases that are officially supported. But we can also just bundle
and ship the latest OpenJDK release that we know is to be working for
any Cassandra branch right away, which would avoid any incompatibility
issues between our releases and JREs installed by the user and is
probably easier for everyone. But thats pretty much the biggest selling
point on bundling the JRE, but will probably not happen anyway due to
the licensing restrictions.