On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 5:40 PM, Gilles Sadowski
<gil...@harfang.homelinux.org> wrote:
>> And thats what I meant with: as long as we don't have a common
>> codestyle, i does not make much sense to have a common checkstyle
>> configuration.
>
> I thought that the question was whether to generate a CheckStyle report, not
> whether the configuration should be the same...

if you add a checkstyle report without a custom config, it has the
default configuration, right? In other terms, everybody would create a
report based on this. Or am I wrong?

>> Secondly, I have not had the feeling in the past years that checkstyle
>> helped me so much (including non open source projects). And so far, my
>> code was readable.
>
> My code is also readable...

Sure, I didn't want to say otherwise :-)

> I forgot to mention earlier in this thread that a code formatter will not
> detect missing comments; I've also seen that some people using IDE let the
> software generate totally useless "place-holder" Javadoc comments. Hence
> no tool can afterwards detect that documentation is missing.

Right. I really like Torsten old blog post on JavaDoc comments:
http://vafer.org/blog/20050323095453/

If you have no good javadoc, leave it out. Sometimes you simply do not
have good javadocs.... checkdoc should not complain about my
decisions.

Cheers

http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de