Hi Tora :)

tora - Takamichi Akiyama wrote, On 04/17/09 14:50:
> Hi Malte,
>
> I see the requirements and benefits which comes from the native code.
>
> For PNG/BMP consideration, as you might have noticed, I also took into
> account of loading a library file which deals with PNG's compression.
> What I thought, but didn't mention in the previous mail, was that the
> library file would be used for handling other PNG files. So, sooner or
> later, the library file has to be loaded for OpenOffice.org' s operation.

I guess that it's not necessarily the same library OOo would use.
I think OOo has it's own PNG filter code, which can not be used w/o

> What I mainly thought was how to reduce the entire startup time of
> OpenOffice.org, not how quickly the splash screen appears.
>
> Now I understand that the quick appearance of the splash screen is
> one of the important factors.
>
> One possible implementation that might help is to use the same library
> file that OpenOffice.org also uses. The process has to load several
> library files to display the splash image. That means the contents of
> the library files has been already loaded into OS's physical memory
> as a replica of disk device when the OpenOffice.org's process is about
> to start. If the both process share the same library files, some of
> the files could be loaded ahead in the similar way as 'pagein' does.

> file in 90KB might be much more costly than reading a .bmp file in
> the size of 378KB and a small-sized code. However, if the shared
> library is also used by soffice.bin, a room for consideration would
> still remains.
>
> I, however, would like to leave a decision to you and your team.

This is something the OOo performance team needs to do/decide :)

Too bad we didn't switch this discussion to d...@performance in the
moment we discussed the performance aspects.

I will send the URL to this mail thread to d...@performance so people get
aware of this good discussion :)

Malte.