hi Herbert,

2009/5/5 Herbert Duerr <du...@sun.com>

> hi Yanmin,
>
> On May 5, 2009, at 9:33 AM, yanmin wrote:
>
>> 2009/5/5 Herbert Duerr <du...@sun.com>
>> On May 5, 2009, at 7:42 AM, yanmin wrote:
>> In order to enable glyph fallback under Windows platform, a  class
>> WinGlyphFallbackSubstitution inherited ImplGlyphFallbackFontSubstitution
>> is
>> created as the class FcGlyphFallbackSubstitution under Linux system.
>>
>> That's interesting. Is there already a CWS for this?
>>
>> No CWS, I filed a issue just now. The issue number is  101552.
>>

> Thanks!
>
>  [...]
>>
>> Unfortunately, *pData->HasChar(c)* always returns false even
>> *pData*contains the character *c*.
>>
>> How do you know that pData contains c? If it returns false this is a
>> strong indication that it isn't there.
>>
>> For a Chinese character, I really know such as SimSong contains it.
>>

> EnumFontFamilyEx iterates over all faces of a font. Do all faces of SimSong
> contain this character? Do the corresponding unicode cmaps in the font files
> confirm this?

During my debuging, HasChar always returns false for each face of SimSong.
But in function SimpleWinLayout::LayoutText,
mrWinFontData.HasChar(nCharCode) really returns true for the same
circumstance. That is pretty confusing.

>  I don't know what's the problem. In addition, any idea to enable glyph
>> fallback under windows platform would be also highly appreciated just as
>> done under Linux system leveraging fontconfig lib.
>>

>> That's also quite interesting. Which Windows versions have fontconfig
>> nowadays? Who maintains the configuration data?
>>
>> Maybe you misunderstand what I said. I mean that fontconfig was used to
>> improve glyph fallback just under linux system.  A similar way could be
>> considered under windows system, certainly there is no fongconfig available
>> under window.
>>

> I see, thanks for the explanation!

I'm now using the simplest way to implement a demo to just prove dynamic
glyph fallback workable under windows system.  Enumerate all the fonts that
windows has, if a font contains the missing character, then it would be the
glyph fallback font, certainly not the best one.[?]

> ---
> Herbert Duerr
> du...@sun.com

Many thanks.