Hi Herbert,

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 16:45, Herbert Duerr <du...@sun.com> wrote:
> Probably.
>
> Topics that everybody yawned at more than once got the priority "we needed
> that yesterday"! On the other hand I also saw
> http://fontfeed.com/archives/ipad-typography/ where it shows that top-notch
> typography is not a requirement even for the most successful appliance used
> by many graphic designers, artists and other creative people that usually
> have good style as a major goal.

That is a good example of typography getting the back seat treatment
which has sadly become the norm. It is encouraging to see that
Windows, OS X and Linux either have or are working on high quality
text APIs.

>>> With OOo's Aqua port moving from ATSU to CoreText and CoreText supporting
>>> optional typographic features the Aqua port is likely to be the spearhead
>>> of
>>> this effort.
>>
>> That is interesting. Are there plans to use DirectWrite in the Windows
>> version?
>
> Not yet. On Windows the next typography step is probably doing issue
> #i112466#.

I don't yet know how OOo renderrs text in detail but I believe that it
would be possible and not too complicated to use DirectWrite/Direct2D
just for rendering.

>>> A related topic for all platforms is GPOS-kerning (#i31764#): In one way
>>> is
>>> simpler, because the UI, the document-spec and application layer support
>>> is
>>> already there, in the other way it is also very challenging because the
>>> layout of existing document must not change (e.g. because a font only has
>>> classic kerning and a layout engine only supports GPOS kerning or because
>>> the layout depends on the feature "CJK kerning").
>>
>> I suppose that if the engine supported both it could have plain
>> kerning as default if the font has it. Some of the newer fonts come
>> with only GPOS kerning and the engine would use that. Could something
>> like that work?
>
> Yes, that is the plan how it will look to the upper layers. Whether the
> system layout engines do it this way too reliably is the other question.
>
>> This is something I would like to work on. I really like typography
>> and would like to see better support for it in OOo.
>
> Good! Could I interest you in working in the WriterEngine and EditEngine on
> #i108684#?
>
> Or are you more into system-level code? What is your prefered platform? WIN,
> UNX or MAC?
> If WIN could I interest you in #i112466#?
> If UNX could I interest you in providing the optional features through ICU?

I'd like to take on #i112466#. Would that be appropriate in scope for
a 3 moth internship?

Before my original mail here I read about HarfBuzz which is probably
what someone working on providing OT features on linux through ICU
should use but I'm not sure if the APIs are finalized.

Regards,
Miloš