William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

I'd -1 a 2.4.0 release today, because nobody has even bothered to make
a candidate for 2.3-dev.  Auth logic changes break most if not all third
party auth modules (broke an auth feature in mod_ftp).  Not talking about
commercial modules .... but every third party auth extension out there.

  I've been working with the 2.4 authn/z stuff a bit lately and
what I keep tripping over is that the default authorization merge rule
uses OR logic.  For example, if I enable mod_access_compat and
put in a traditional:

<Location /foo>
   Order deny,allow
   Deny from all
</Location>

it doesn't take effect, because the default top-level <Directory>
contains "Require all granted" and since that succeeds for all
requests, everything else is short-circuited by the OR merge logic.
So at a minimum I seem to have to put in an "AuthzMergeRules Off" to
get things to DWIM.

  I fear that might trip up a significant percentage of people
upgrading ... perhaps a "AuthzMergeRules Off" in the default httpd.conf
would be sufficient, but my experience with mod_authz_dbd suggested
that I needed to put it in a lot of places to get stuff working
the way I intended (e.g., the example config in the mod_authz_dbd
manual page in the trunk docs).

Chris.

--
GPG Key ID: 366A375B