On 6/3/2010 6:51 PM, Graham Leggett wrote:
> On 03 Jun 2010, at 10:17 PM, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:
>
>> It would be, but it's necessary.  The ASF is a collaborative environment;
>> unreviewed code should not released, even when the authors are
>> committers.
>> A major patch like this hitting svn, without previous review, makes our
>> fellow committers' eyes glaze over.
>>
>> If there is not positive feedback from two reviewers, this code does not
>> belong in trunk/.  As a committer, you are *free* to create your own
>> sandboxes in svn to demonstrate code changes, if that helps attract the
>> necessary review.
>
> What you're describing here is review-then-commit (RTC).

No, I wasn't.  What I was suggesting is that code that is missing the 'then
Commit' bits of RTC doesn't belong.  It is not reassuring when committers
aren't reviewing the patches offered when they are presented.  Committing
them to trunk doesn't reassure me that they'll have sufficient review after
the commit, either.

CTR is fine for all normal fixes.  RTC is always preferred for major code
refactorings.  But the reviews need to happen, and this particular code has
been available for discussion at dev@ for months, with very little comment
between very few committers, which isn't a healthy sign.